Dear Recreation Soccer Parents,
If you are receiving this email you have registered one or more of your children for our Recreation Soccer program. As you know, due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, when we took registration we did not charge a fee. We noted that we would charge the fee later in the process when more was known about the program and how/whether it would be run this year.
Working with the Chatham Recreation department and our training providers from United Soccer Academy, we believe we will be able to run a safe and effective Recreation Soccer program this year. However we will be making some modifications to our normal program. These changes were decided based on the following factors:
- Understandably our numbers decreased a bit this year as some parents opted not to include their child in soccer
- We will be implementing guidelines and protocols related to COVID-19 that make running the program more operationally difficult (we will share these guidelines with you in the next week or two)
- There are fewer volunteer parent coaches (also the requirements to coach have increased the last several years due to changes by New Jersey Youth Soccer and their minimum requirements for coaches in Recreation programs. As a results it is harder to “recruit” parents to help)
This has led to the following changes:
- Using only professional trainers from our long-time partner United Soccer Academy to run the program rather than using parent coaches
- Allows for use of trained staff who have been following COVID-19 protocols in a consistent fashion across other camps and training programs
- Provides quality professional training to our players
- This does significantly increase the cost of running the program
- Holding one 60 minute session per age group per week
- In the past we ran one 45 minute weekday practice and one 60 minute Saturday session for each age group (except Kindergarten where we only ran one 60 minute Saturday session per week)
- This reduction is necessary due to the increased cost of running a program based on all professional trainers
- The 60 minute sessions will be 10-15 minutes of skills training and then scrimmages/games
- Providing reversible pinnies to each player rather than a specific team jersey
- This also helps reduce costs to offset the additional training costs
- We will still form teams
- Charging one flat fee of $150 per participant
- This will be added to your account as a charge on our website where you can login and pay. We will notify you via email when we add the charge.
- We made the changes above to keep the program cost at a reasonable price point despite using all professional trainers
If your child is no longer going to participate in Recreation Soccer due to these changes (or any reason) please let us know by Friday August 28th so we can remove your child before creating teams. We will be adding the $150 charge to your account in early September and will notify you by email when we do with instructions for payment.
Below is the TENTATIVE Fall 2020 schedule. We will be forming teams and loading the schedule into our website over the week or two. We will send you additional information on the program and our COVID guidelines at that time.
*Grade 5/6 Boys and Girls will run on Tuesday afternoons rather than Saturday.